- Brief History of Sports Forum, USTM
University of Science and Technology, Meghalaya has been striving for academic excellence, and at the same time sponsoring varieties of activities that would contribute to the wholesome development of personality and promote health among students. Sports and Games are one such area promoted by the University with an intention of ensuring Physical, Mental and Emotional Health of the Student Community. For smooth conduct of the sports endeared by the students, the Sports Forum, USTM was established by the University in the year 2013.
The Sports Forum, USTM is organizing the Sports Programmes on the basis of practice followed by the previous Administrative Heads and Staff derived on the basis of guidelines of ASSOCIATION OF INDIAN UNIVERSITIES (A.I.U) and other Sports Agencies.
Activities relating to Sports and Physical Education are essential components of human resource development, helping to promote good health, comradeship and a spirit of friendly competition, which, in turn, has positive impact on the overall development of personality of the youth. Excellence in sports enhances the sense of achievement, national pride and patriotism. Sports also provide beneficial recreation, improve productivity and foster social harmony and discipline.
To inculcate a sporting culture among the students of the university, through participation and excellence in sports leading to an energetic, healthy and culturally vibrant USTM.
- To create a sporting culture, healthy lifestyle and values
- To nurture and develop sporting talent of the university that will in turn produce champion athletes
- To adopt scientific and modern technology and approaches for sport and athlete development
- To develop world-class sporting infrastructure for the university students that will have a legacy
- To engage in professional approaches for planning and organization of sports and sporting events at the university, state, national and international levels.
- To promote students‟ sports participation and to create awareness about the benefits of Physical Education & Sports and to spread Sports Culture among the Students.
- To search Sports Talent at the university level and to groom them as better performers.
- To encourage participation of women in sports and game
- To Project the Potentials of University by organizing National Level Tournaments.
- To provide Incentives and bestow Awards to Sportspersons to maintain sustained interest among students to participate and perform progressively.
- To Develop Adequate and Standard Sports Infrastructure Facilities like Playing Fields, Gymnasium, Track & Field, and procure Quality Equipment.
- To provide Systematic Coaching Programme by involving Qualified & Competent Personnel to groom University Teams & Sports Talent.
- Constitution of Sports Forum, USTM (Structure of Committee):
The University shall constitute Sports Forum each year at the beginning of Session. The Sports Forum, USTM shall be constituted as follows:
- President: Honourable Chancellor, USTM
- Secretary: Honourable Vice- Chancellor, USTM
- Director, Sports Forum
- Convener, Sports Forum
- Sports Officer, Sports Forum
- Sports Coaches of each game
- Faculty Coordinators for each game
- Student Coordinators for each game
- Present Committee of Sports Forum, USTM:
||Mr. Mahbubul Hoque, Chancellor, USTM
||Dr. P.K.Goswami, Vice-Chancellor, USTM
|Director, Sports Forum
|Convener, Sports Forum
||Mr. Rizaul Karim ahmed
||Mr. Siddhartha Sarma
||Mr. Jadav Thakuria
||Mr. Viliebeizo Keditsu
||Mr. Tanmay Das
- Sports Disciplines:
Following are the sports disciplines, Sports Forum, USTM emphasize on:
- Basic Framework:
Sports and physical fitness go hand in hand. Presence of active population in a society decides the availability of the sports population who takes part in competitive sports.
Physical activity embraces all kinds of human physical endeavours that include daily living activities and activities related to occupation. Mass participation in sports related physical activities are generally introduced by university. Participation in such programmes leads to the development of certain sport-specific skills and attitude, improves the cardio respiratory endurance, target body composition, flexibility, strength and endurance of muscles, agility, physical and mental health, psycho-social well-being; acquiring and enhancing fundamental motor skills and cognitive ability.
- Mass Participation in Sports
Mass participation in sports is one of the critical foundations to develop the sports culture and enhance the sports environment in a nation. The higher the number of persons involved in sports, the better is the probability of identifying a talent. However, mass participation alone cannot produce champions. It needs a structured organised programme that involves detection, selection, identification, development of talents to produce champions. The basic framework envisages that broad-basing of sports; structured training programme, scientific support and technology intervention are the bases to achieve ‘Sports Excellence in USTM’.
- Participation of girl students
Involvement in physical activity and sports improves the physical health, mental health, reproductive health, social inclusion and intellectual & educational capabilities of a girl student.
- Identification and development of sports talents
Talent selection – process of identifying athletes or players of various stages of the training program; talent selection – reference to a specific task (i.e. a test) and sports activity and talent development – implies that the athletes/players are being provided with the appropriate learning/practice conditions to promote and realise their potential in specific sports” programmes are needed to be taken up
Physical instructors/coaches in this stage should take cognition of the growth and maturation curve of an individual while planning a training programme for the child.
- Preparation for the competition
Provide year-round, high intensity, individual, event and position-specific training. Teach athletes, who are now proficient at performing basic and sport-specific skills, to perform those skills under a variety of competitive conditions during training. Place special emphasis on optimum preparation by modelling competitions in training. Individually tailor fitness programs, recovery programs, psychological preparation and technical development. Emphasize individual preparation that addresses each athlete’s individual strengths and weaknesses
A coach is a friend, philosopher and guide to an athlete. It is the coach who detects, identifies, selects, develops and nurtures a talent and produces a champion. A coach analyses the performances of an athlete, creates the right environment for learning and training, motivates the athlete, provides support, and imparts relevant skills through structured training programmes so that the athlete can grow to his/her full potential. There shall be proper guidelines for coach development programmes, deployment of coaches.
In addition, there shall be a framework for involvement of Physical Education Teachers in sports coaching, involvement of former national coaches and engagement of contract coaches.
- Infrastructure development:
The availability of adequate sports facilities in the university is basic to the development and broad-basing of Sports. Undertakings will be enlisted in the creation, utilization and proper maintenance of the Sports infrastructure. Steps would be taken to evolve low cost functional and environment-friendly designs in this regard, so that maximum benefits could be derived through relatively low levels of investment. Efforts will also be made to optimally utilize the available infrastructure and manpower and Special Coaching Cams organised, during the vacations, to provide intensive training to talented sports persons, even as they pursue their academic work.
- Process of Selection of University Teams for Participation in the Inter University Competitions:
- The Selection of Players/Teams for Various Inter-University Competitions will be done by the Committees formed by the Sports Forum, USTM.
- Only Bonafide, Fulltime Students, who are Enrolled for a Course of the University, which is of a Minimum Duration of One Academic Year and where Examination is Conducted by the University and those who fulfil the Eligibility Criteria laid down by the A.I.U, New Delhi shall be Eligible to take part in the Selection Process.
- The Selection Committee will select the Players and Stand-Bys of the University Teams based on their Performance during the Trials/ Competitions. If Performance Standard of any Team / Player is not Satisfactory as felt by the Selection Committee Members, on the Recommendations of the Committee such Team/Player may not be sent for Participation in Interuniversity Tournaments.
- Free Admission for Sport Persons:
The university would focus attention on achieving Excellence in Sports at the National and International levels. Students who have records of excellence in sports National/State/District level can apply for Undergraduate and Postgraduate degree programmes in USTM through sports quota admission
Category-wise facilities provided for sports person:
|Players participated in National & International events
i. Free admission in any discipline.
ii. Free Lodging at hostel.
iii. Free Training by reputed coaches.
iv. Incentives and expenses to participate in various events representing USTM.
|Players participated in Regional level events
i. Free admission in any discipline.
ii. Free Training by reputed coaches.
iii. Incentives and expenses to participate in various events representing USTM.
|Players participated in District level events
i. Free Training by reputed coaches.
ii. Incentives and expenses to participate in various events representing USTM.
- Roles and Responsibilities of Stakeholders:
- Role and Responsibility of University:
- The University Shall be responsible for popularizing sports activities in the campus and affiliated colleges organizing tournaments, sports activities and events;
- To plan and form the Sports Forum, USTM with advice from previous chair holders.
- The University shall make available necessary funds and infrastructure to implement the policy to its fullest.
- The University shall encourage/invite talented sportsmen to join its various programmes.
- The University shall make provision in the Departmental time table so as to involve students in competitive as well as recreational sports.
- The University shall take suitable action against faculty or students not abiding the Sports Policy
- Role and Responsibility of Sports Forum, USTM
- To formulate Sports Policies, frame Rules & Regulations of Physical Education & Sports Programme from time – to – time.
- To suggest measures for Promotion of Sports Activities among the University students.
- To suggest measures to carry out the Sports Activities according to the University Budget Allocation and Allocation of University Sports Development Fund for Sports Activities & Development Programmes.
- To frame the Guidelines for Admission of Students under “Sports Quota” in the University and Affiliated Colleges.
- The Sports Forum shall ordinarily meet Twice in a Year, during the months of July/August & February/ March. The Quorum for an Ordinary Meeting shall be Seven Members.
- To plan the Organization of any Inter-University Tournament allotted by the A.I.U.
- Any other matter pertaining to the Sports Activities may be taken up for discussion & decision with the permission of the Chair.
- Role and Responsibility of Director of Sports
- Perusal & Approval of Annual Budget Estimates of Sports Forum, USTM.
- Perusal & Approval of Panel of Committee Members for Selection of Student Sportspersons for Inter-University Competitions.
- Perusal & Approval of the Budget Estimate for Felicitation Function of All India Inter-University Tournament Medallists, Incentives for Inter-Collegiate Champions and Others.
- Role and Responsibility of Convener, Sports Forum
- The overall co-ordination of the Sports forum.
- To assist the Director, Sports Forum in discharging all the duties.
- To guide other office bearer for smooth conduction of sports events like NEGC, Varsity Week, Inter-University competitions etc.
- Role and Responsibility of Sports Officer
- The Sports Officer shall organize, supervise and administrate competitive, recreational and leisure time sports activities.
- The Sports Officer shall organize orientation programme for students for better understanding of sports facilities.
- The Sports Officer shall organize talent search programme to identify talented sportsmen eligible to join the University at graduate and post graduate levels.
- The Sports Officer shall organize “Sports Test” for all the students joining at graduate and post graduate levels for the respective term.
- Roles and Responsibilities of Coaches:
- To institute organized safe instructions and training for all members of the team.
- To provide an enjoyable environment while executing game rules and regulations as related to player’s skill levels.
- To attend team practices and accompany teams to all games and tournaments.
- To assist the team officer’s with the suggestions for purchasing safe equipment and maintain the shape of the equipment.
- To provide practice schedules that best meet the needs of the players.
- To help organize travel planning and sponsored events.
- Roles and Responsibilities of Teacher/Student Coordinators:
- To organize inter collegiate and inter university sports events.
- To take full responsibilities of the sports events of the University Week
- To assist in all sports events organized by USTM
- To assist the Sports Forum in conducting all the co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- Disciplinary Procedure for Unsportsmanlike Practices:
- The players in any sports activity/event who choose to follow unsportsmanlike practices before, during, or after a contest, whether directed towards staff, an official, an opponent, or a spectator may be expelled from that contest. The contest official(s) may expel the player at any point before, during, or after the contest 011 sufficient grounds.
- A Player expelled from any sports contest for any reason must leave the playing facility immediately after providing their contact information, and are barred from all sports activities until officially reinstated by the competent officer/bodies for the purpose.
- If the expelled player does not provide their contact information, it is the captain’s responsibility to provide the necessary information. Failure to do so may result in a forfeiture of the contest and a possible player, captain, or team suspension.
- All players are expected to follow the Code of conduct before, during, and after participation in the sports activity.
- Any player who is believed to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs will not be permitted to participate or remain at the sports event or site of event. Players consuming alcohol and/or drugs, or who have consumed alcohol and/or drugs before a contest will risk forfeiture of the game and may be expelled from further play.