Code of Conduct for Students:
As per General Code of Conduct for the students of USTM, all students must:
- Treat all employees, faculty members, consultants, coaches, volunteers any other members of the public and other students with respect, dignity, impartiality, courtesy and sensitivity;
- Maintain a cooperative and collaborative approach to interpersonal relationships;
- Act honestly and ethically in their dealings with University employees, faculty members, consultants, coaches, volunteers any other members of the public and other students
- Respect the privacy and dignity of employees, faculty members, consultants, coaches, volunteers any other members of the public and other students
- Ensure that they do not act in a manner that unnecessarily or unreasonably impedes the ability of employees, honorary appointees, consultants, contractors, volunteers any other members of the public and other students to carry out their study, research or work at the premises of the University,
- Ensure that they do not act in a manner that unnecessarily or unreasonably impedes the ability of employees, honorary appointees, consultants, contractors, volunteers any other members of the public or other students to access or use the resources of the University
- Ensure that they do not become involved in or encourage discrimination against or harassment or bullying of employees, honorary appointees, consultants, contractors, volunteers any other members of the public or other students.
Students’ Dress Code:
- All students are expected to be in the prescribed dress code of the University.
- Students are to be in the fomenal uniform, University T-Shirt and Department T-Shirt.
- During all formal sessions and events, all students are to be present in formal uniform.
- Students visiting other institutes representing the University has to be in the formal uniform with University identity cards.
- Inside the campus: to maintain the good image of the University, students are reminded to be properly attired in a manner befitting the status of the
- University students when inside the campus.
- In case of the violation of the dress code the student concerned will be facing disciplinary actions.
- During informal sessions and events, it is expected that students will dress accordingly to maintain the decorum of the University.
- Students are expected to be in proper dress in the campus canteen or hostel canteen.
- Wearing indecent dress, i.e. Shorts, Mini-Skirts are prohibited in the campus.
All students must:
- Ensure that their enrolment and progress in their award course is lawful and consistent with the statutes, rules and resolutions of the University of Science and Technology, Meghalaya.
- Read all official correspondence from the University, including email.
- Act ethically and honestly in the preparation, conduct, submission and publication of academic work, and during all forms of assessment, including formal examinations and informal tests.
- Avoid any activity or behavior that would unfairly allow or give advantage or disadvantage to another student academically.
- Conform to the University’s requirements for working with humans, animals and biohazards;
- Behave professionally, ethically and respectfully in all dealings with the University’s learning partners during extramural placements and practicums; and
- Use University resources, including information and communication technology resources, in a lawful and ethical manner and for University purposes only, unless especial permission has been granted for non-University or private usage.
All program and courses of the university has been designed so as to facilitate learning. All stakeholders need to do their part for this to happen. Students, in particular, play a central role in creating an environment in which learning can occur. This code of conduct will clarify basic expectations in order to avoid misunderstandings of what is and is not appropriate.
Some of the rules to be followed in the classroom:
- All the students are required to wear university uniform in the most decent manners and present themselves in neat & tidy manner.
- All the students are to treat the faculty members with utmost respect and dignity.
- All students should attend classes regularly, arrive to class on time, stay through the full period and bring necessary materials.
- It is the duty of the students to maintain the minimum 75% attendance as prescribed in the attendance policy.
- All the students are required to have finished the pre-reading of the class contents and be present classes well prepared.
- Students should not engage in behaviour that detracts from the learning experience. Talking in class, sleeping, usage of gadgets ( unless instructed to), unnecessary movement in and out of the classroom are strictly prohibited.
- It is against University regulations of using tobacco, guthka, pan-masala, alcoholic products in the classroom.
- Students may bring food items, water bottles and sealed beverages to the classroom for refreshments. But students are fully responsible for keeping the area clean and free of garbage.
- Classrooms properties are to be properly taken care of by the students and no damage should be done to any classroom property i.e. desk boards, tables, chairs, projectors etc.
- The classroom should be a place for the free and open discussion of constructive & creative ideas, students should conduct and express themselves in a way that is respectful to all the fellow classmates and the university community.
- All the students are expected to take all examinations, tests at the scheduled time and turn in all assignments in due time. Unless an adequate excuse or reason is validated and provided to the Head of the Department, grades will be marked down substantially for late submission.
- All the students are also required to show utmost respect to the external examiners, faculties from other departments, higher authorities and guests visiting the classroom on different academic/non-academic events and occasions.
The following rules and regulations govern all University of Science and Technology, Meghalaya examinations and have been approved by the Controller of Examinations:
1. Examination candidates should attend for each examination at least fifteen minutes before the designated starting time.
2. Instructions from the Examination Invigilator must be carried out promptly.
3. No book, bag/handbag, notes, or other unauthorised material may be brought into the Examination Hall without the prior approval of the Invigilator.
4. Candidates must ensure that there is no writing on any rulers, set-squares, calculators and other such requirements brought into the Examination Hall.
5. Communication with another candidate is not permitted. If an examination candidate requires assistance, he/she should attract the attention of the Invigilator, taking care not to disturb the other candidates.
6. Any behaviour or activity, which causes inconvenience or disruption to other examination candidates, is not permitted. Please avail of the toilets before entering the Examination Hall.
7. MOBILE PHONES, ELECTRONIC DEVICES OR MOBILE COMMUNICATION DEVICES ARE NOT PERMITTED IN THE EXAMINATION HALLS.