About MLISc Programme:
Department of Library & Information science, USTM offers MLISc program based on UGC Guidelines. The program deals with categorizations of information and a scientific study into the different discourses relating to knowledge management and creating knowledge based society based on ICT applications and sound philosophy of knowledge acquisition and applications. Libraries act as facilitators to provide the desired information to its ultimate users who are in need of information. The growth and development of the society largely depends on the access of information. With the emergence of Information Communication Technologies in twenty first century, libraries have also transformed and undergone into modern libraries equipped with enhanced ICT technologies. As the growth and development of society largely depends on access to information, processing, organization, dissemination and the different types of information services accessible to citizens.
The program puts emphasis on handling and access to information in all forms rather than the conventional library activities. The program has structured in such a way that it gives equal emphasis on both theory and practice under the guidance of faculty members, Resource Persons, Subject Experts along with practicing librarians. Thus, due to constantly growing number of institutes / organizations that are based on information and knowledge; there is high demand of Library and Information Science professionals. The MLISc program will produce human resources needed by these information- and knowledge-based organizations.
Special Highlights of the MLISc Program:
– Bibliographic Project/ Documentation Work: Students of Second Semester of MLISc program have to collect and have to organize the records in systematic and scientific manner for creation of bibliographies. Bibliographic Project helps the students in developing writing and presentation skills in the preparation of bibliographies.
– Library Visit Report: The department organizes a visit to modern libraries for the Third Semester students of MLISc program preferably located in a metropolitan city of India outside North Eastern Region of India to acquire hand on experience and to observe the functioning of some modern libraries. The visit is compulsory and carries marks, which is awarded based upon the report submitted by the students.
– Job Diary: Students of 3rd Semester of MLISc program have to compulsorily work in a library in order to get a hand-on experience in the field of librarianship and to make them work-ready. Job Diary is compulsory and carries marks, which is awarded based upon the detailed report submitted by the students on different activities done by them in the library where they were sent for working.
– Dissertation: Students of 4th Semester of MLISc program have to submit a dissertation on the research topics selected by each students of their choice. It helps them to identify and formulate a research problem, solve a problem through scientific method of investigation and appropriate research methodology, application of statistical data analysis tools and techniques and develop interpretation and presentation skill.
Career Scope & Opportunities:
Trained library professionals can find opportunities for employment both as teacher and as a Librarian. Qualified librarians in this field can seek employment in:
– Public/Government Libraries.
– Universities/Colleges/Schools and any other Academic Institutions.
– Special Libraries and Research Institutes.
– News Agencies and Media Organizations.
– Private Organizations and NGOs.
– Foreign Embassies.
– Film/Radio/Television/Photographic Institutions and Information Centres.
– Information Centres/Documentation Centres.
– Knowledge Centres/Knowledge Repositories.
– Companies/ Organizations
– Museums and Art Galleries with Research and Study Centres.
– Law Library/Moot Courts/Judiciary Libraries
– Banks/Jails and many more
Duration: 2 Years
Eligibility: Graduation in any discipline With 45% marks in aggregate (5%relaxation for reserved categories)
Admission Fee : Rs. 38,000.00
Tuition Fee per Semester : Rs. 30,000.00